Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Michigan Records

I looked for two years for my great great grandfather's sister.  My only trace of her was a family history written in 1964 that said she was last known to be living in Hastings, Michigan.  Many things in this oral history were incorrect, but I clung to this strand of information.  I did narrow in on possible families and at one point thought I had found her.  I sent away for her civil war veteran husband's pension file and had a giant disappointment when the file came and I found out I was wrong.  She was not this man's wife.

One night, when I couldn't sleep, I once again put her name (or her father or mother) into family search and up came a marriage record for her daughter.  I'm not sure what I actually used as my search criteria, but this was a major break as now I had her married name.  With this information, I went to the Seeking Michigan website and found a death certificate for her which correctly listed her mother and father.

Seeking Michigan has online images of death records for 1897 - 1920.   I like to start at the discover page as it shows you all the digital collections that are available at seekingmichigan.com.

http://seekingmichigan.org/discover
Click here to go to the site

This is a wonderful resource.  After I did more research on my long lost ancestor, I found out that her husband was a civil war veteran!  I went back to seekingmichigan.com, it has lots of civil war records.  I especially love looking through the portraits of soldiers.

No comments:

Post a Comment